Wednesday, August 10, 2011

If only that was my hardest decision

As most of you know, I work in a daycare, at Aladdin's Castle, which was recently voted Best in The Basin for the 11th year!!!! :) Anyway, at the end of each day we have a basket full of dum-dums. A few of the kids will just grab and go, without even looking at the color that they got. Then there's a few of the kids who don't even want one, they just pass by the basket without giving a second glance. Of course there are a few each day who make it to the no sucker list for bad behavior. It's always sad to see those little hearts break. Then there's my few favorite kiddos, who I just LOVE LOVE LOVE to watch at the sucker basket. There's my little Red Raider fan who always wants a different color, sometimes brown sometimes yellow, but you better believe what ever color is on his mind..... he won't leave until he finds it. Then there's a few of the blue lovers. Blue is 100% the fan favorite. We run out of those faster than any other color. Then sometimes when we do run out, we have kids who will just skip a sucker all together. It's blue or its nothing!! We can't forget my sweet redheaded princess, I don't think she cares what color she gets, but if I pick it out, I always get her a pink one, because of course, princesses love pink!! So I'm sure you all are wondering why I've rambled on for a full page about what color suckers the kiddos pick. Well my point is, this is, for some of the kids, the most difficult decision they make all day!! They put a lot of stock into what color is chosen. And they get very upset if the desired color is not there. There's a lot to think about there. As adults, we make quick, rash, bad, and good decisions all day long. From the very moment we wake up... to hit snooze or not to hit snooze. Then onto, what are we going to wear today?? Usually accompanied with what will the child(ren) wear. On the way out the door the choice has to be made about seat belt, are you the type who always 100% wears yours?? ( BTW I am) While driving, speed up? Slow down? Pass the guy going 15 under the limit? Switch lanes? Every single choice you make while driving can affect if you get there safely or not. Then depending on your job there are hundreds of thousands of choices to make all day long. Last but not least, as you end your day what time will you go to bed? Will you shower now and savor that extra time to sleep in? Anyway, my point is we all take for granted how simple our lives used to be, how simple our decisions were at one point. So slow down and take your time. Make sure the choice you make is going to be one that will be the right one. As for me, my choice right now is to go to bed, because there will be no snooze button for me in the morning. Good night everyone and just because it's isn't always easy, doesn't mean it isn't fun!

1 comment:

  1. So true! You've got to love how simple and innocent the daily choices for children can be. To eat or not to eat dirt? Lol! I once saw a picture this child made that said "Things to do today - 1. Play with my toys 2. Eat a popsicle 3. Draw a picture......and so on, it made my day to think that our kiddos are so naive and precious and their most "important decisions in a day might be what color sucker they get!

    ReplyDelete